Monday 17 January 2011

A Beautiful Butterfly Brunch in San Francisco

I think that I have just experienced the most magical weekend of my entire life. January used to be the one time of the year that I really dreaded. It used to be filled with exams and bad weather. Everyone was depressed because they were poor, fat and/or ill.

In California, however, things seem to be quite the opposite. Winter is still here (many people from England forget that California has winters too) yet depression is far, far away!

Down The Embarcadero - The Bay Bridge in the background

The idyllic weekend started with a very chilled out dinner at my friend's place with lots of yummy food, wine and lovely friends. My Saturday involved a whole day's skiing in Lake Tahoe. This was the second time, only, that I had skied in my life and the last time was seven years ago. I was overjoyed that I managed to remember how to ski and the stunning kaleidoscopic sunset pushed my thoughts further into believing that this was all a dream. I was devastated that I didn't have my Canon with me to capture the sunset but I'm pretty sure that the camera would not have survived!

A sign outside the new Tcho chocolate shop and factory, down The Embarcadero

Sunday included a spontaneous trip to San Francisco with my fellow English friend Jennie and my photography buddy Matt. The aim of the trip was to get some great shots of San Francisco, which we did, and we also experienced an exquisite brunch in Butterfly down The Embarcadero.

Inside Butterfly Restaurant - Pier 33, The Embarcadero

I thought that I should avoid the bottomless mimosas but then thought that I would have just one. Because I can, now that I am 21!

Mimosa inside Butterfly Restaurant

I chose the Smoked Salmon Scramble with asparagus, tobiko caviar, crème fraiche and texas toast, but I asked for my eggs to be poached instead of scrambled (I just love 'em poached!).

Smoked Salmon Scramble - poached, not scrambled

The plate contained a dazzling plethora of colours. The eggs had a wonderfully soft yolk that provided a great sauce for the smoked salmon and al dente asparagus. Each forkful was a multi-textural adventure. The result was ultimate satisfaction!

Texas toast with butter and jam

Delicious salty residues

I had never had Texas toast before, but this gorgeous thick yellow fluffy bread was just perfect for mopping up all the delicious salty residues.

Not a trace left!

The meal was delicious and the picturesque dish was a shocking $12. The three of us almost keeled over with ecstasy after we had completed our meals. It is the experiencing of moments like these that remind me why I am studying abroad.

I thought that I would share a few of my favourite photos of the day. What's the point in taking photos if you don't share them?!

Fog at Lands End Trail

Rusty post on China Beach

The Golden Gate Bridge from China Beach

This photograph of the Golden Gate Bridge was taken from China Beach. When we arrived at China Beach we could not see any resemblance of the bridge. Within minutes, the fog slowly lifted to reveal what my friend calls "The Statue of Liberty of the West Coast". It was as if the Golden Gate Gods were there yesterday. It was a truly memorable experience.

Market Street, San Francisco

This photo of Market Street was taken from a friend's apartment on the top floor of the complex. I could have sat here and stared for hours.

This emotional weekend of bliss and enchantment will remain in my heart forever, California - you're the best!

10 comments:

  1. I have been to some of those exact spots in San Francisco. Next time I visit I will have to try the Butterfly Restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How wonderful. Can you elaborate on Texas toast? Is it just a different type of bread made from corn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photographs, feel like i've been there myself now! Love the sign with chocolate, how cool is that. lol.

    Luigi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are amazing - especially brunch! Looks delicious!

    http://happensafterfive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS POST! Your pics are Ahhhhmazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of the Golden Gate Bridge is wonderful - loving your blog Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha love the chocolate sign.

    I so agree your photographs are wonderful, espcially the one of the Golden Gate Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! I particularly love the Golden Gate Bridge. Snaps to you (pun intended) for getting such nice pics inside a restaurant, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Butterfly restaurant looks fabulous. I've been to SF so many times yet I always find somewhere new to try and your photos make all the food and drink more appetizing. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I love hearing from you.